Sunday, April 13, 2008

I know i shouldn't...but I do!



Back in 2005, a friend of mine, who's accompanied me to many gigs and made many recommendations texted me: 'You're not going to believe this...but the new Stereophonics' single is really good!'

'You're right,' I responded. 'I'm not.'

It wasn't always this way. I'd loved the Stereophonics around the release of their first album Word Gets Around, and had seen them supporting James in late 1998, around the time of the 'Bartender and the Thief' single (within a matter of months it might have seemed surprising it was that way round). The early songs, particularly the sad 'Local Boy In The Photograph' about a suicide was great.

Then somehow, from second album Performance and Cocktails onwards, as Sterophonics started to sell a lot of records, I found their music increasingly dreary. By the time of their third album Just Enough Education To Perform I'd started saying I hated them. Like Travis, I didn't hate them for becoming successful, I'd gone off them because they were no longer any good, and it was bands like them that were making 'indie' seem synonymous with dull, trad rock, rather than out of the mainstream innovation.

So when 'Dakota' got to no.1 in 2005, it was a bolt from the blue. I can't say that I've started buying their records again, nor am I likely to, but this is a great song. Posted here with one from when I really liked 'em.

Stereophonics -'Local Boy In The Photograph.' mp3

Stereophonics -'Dakota.' mp3

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i went to the gig in manchester where the pixies supported the stereophonics, yes you read that right, the pixies supported, you'll never guess what happened when the "support" act had finsihed....
A.J

Ed said...

um... everyone went home?!

Ed

Anonymous said...

At the time I also found the first album very good, like the first Oasis... I think a band is working years for a first reccord, only selecting good songs and maybe about six months for the second, with the pressure of the market and maybe not enough good songs.
I'm really sorry for my french english.Argh...

Imposs1904 said...

Is that Ian Rankin's doppleganger in the middle of that pciture?

Anonymous said...

correct, you win a prize*, the 'phonics played to a nearly empty cricket ground and a fine time was had in the local pubs by several thousand people echoing the thought, "why were they supporting?"
A.J

*prize may or may not exist

Ed said...

Jalal - i agree, Oasis were similar, a very good first album and a slide afterwards (the next person that says 'but what about Cast No Shadow- It's about richard Ashcroft! How does that make it a good song?' Grrr...)

Et: votre anglais. C'est ne pas grave -ma probleme est que t'ai eturdier la langue de francais a l'ecole alors: je peut parler la francais me je ne comprends pas!

darren -have met ian Rankin a few times living in edinburgh (it's not a big place!) and i sorta see what you mean...

A.J. Surprise, surprise...

Anonymous said...

Let's get ready to rummmmmmble! The Toad versus Mr. Ed (with his tag team partner, that local fellow in the photograph - not that he'll be much help now, will he?)

Mr Toad attacks with his special move, The Musical Taste Thump, before Mr. Ed counters with his Mainstream Snobbery Spin.

Gav

Ed said...

...uh?

Anonymous said...

You'll see.

Everything will fall into place.

Gav

Unknown said...

Ed.....I'm with you on this posting.

Early Stereophonics stuff is more than half-decent...then its all rubbish, and then Dakota is a big surprise.

Not holding my breath though that anything else from them will ever be any good.

Jon said...

Er, I like it too...

Anonymous said...

wher've you gone, lack of postings, i'm worried, knock once for yes, twice for no!!!
A.J

Ed said...

I am still here, just been out at gigs two nights on the trot. Wait folks, your patience will be rewarded.

And funny to see how many folk are coming out of the closet about the stereophonics tune...

Ed

Ed said...

And for anyone else wondering what Gav was on about, see here: http://songbytoad.com/2008/04/14/supergrass-diamond-hoo-ha/#comments

Simon said...

I really liked this song too. Local Boy was always a cracking tune though.

I was visiting my mum and dad in Wales. My mum's from a small mining village/town and the Stereophonics are from five minutes up the road. My dad and me went out driving one day and he was showing me the local sights. We drove by Cwmaman where they're from and my dad was telling me how they still live locally and have put a lot of money into the community.

Ah I thought, not big rockstars at all. Then he pointed out Kelly's house high up the side of the mountain above the town. Huge! Actually not as big as the places footballers live in, but pretty much a mansion in comparison to most of the houses down there....

Ed said...

I bet!

mind you, can you be a rock star and live in a terraced house? Discuss...

Imposs1904 said...

Actually, finally got round to checking out 'Dakota'. Cracking song. Cheers for bringing it to my attention.

I've also got a soft spot for 'the bartender, thief' song by them. Can't remember the full title.

Ed said...

The song is called 'the Bartender and the thief.' It was after that that they 'jumped the shark' as they say, IMHO.