Sunday, March 30, 2008

Some Covers For Sunday I



Well, yesterday's covers post seemed to have been a hit and I thought I'd repost some tracks I'd been asked to, as well as a few I haven't posted here before.

Belle and Sebastian -'Final Day (Young Marble Giants).' mp3

Jeff Buckley -'Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen cover).' mp3

Breeders -'Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Beatles cover).' mp3

CSS - 'One Way Or Another (Blondie cover).' mp3

Pop Will Eat Itself -'Games Without Frontiers (Peter Gabriel cover).' mp3

Sia -'I Go To Sleep (The Kinks cover).' mp3

Raincoats -'Lola (The Kinks cover).' mp3

Slits -'I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye cover).'

Schneider TM -'The Light 3000 (cover of The Smiths There Is A Light That Never Goes Out).' mp3

This Mortal Coil -'Song To the Siren (Tim Buckley cover).' mp3

For what it's worth, I genuinely hold The Slits, Schneider TM, The Raincoats, This Mortal Coil and Jeff Buckley to be amongst the finest cover versions ever done. In the unlikely event of any list of best ever cover versions NOT including these, I think I would have to have a word. They reinvent the songs concerned, and that's what a cover version should do.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you like Mr. Somewhere? It's a cover of The Apartments, almost equally good as the original thanks to Caroline Crawley's voice (Shelleyan Orphan). It's on the album Blood.

Ed said...

I do own Blood, and Filigree and Shadow for that matter, it's just that Song To The Siren wins out for me every time. And This Mortal Coil introduced me to both Tim Buckley and Alex Chilton/Big Star/Chris Bell, so I do hold This Mortal Coil in pretty high regard.

Anonymous said...

i would add (i can't get no) satisfaction by devo to that list. they fuck up the original superbly.

good call on the slits.

alex said...

Thanks so much for the PWEI, been looking for that for ages.

I love the Schneider TM version of "The Light" although I never understood why he changed the name. Still a top drawer cover.

Ed said...

lotsofrandomwords -do own that devo cover on 7", should dig it out

alex -glad to have helped you find it, and likewise, not sure about the name change, but anyway...

miss x said...

where's bonnie prince billy's cover version of thunder road??

Anonymous said...

What about "You & Your Sister", Ed? To me that is one of the most beautiful covers (Chris Bell, Big Star) I have ever heard.

Ed said...

Laura -will try and track that ocver down, have posted Badly Drawn Boy's version of that here before now.

DC -again, another really good cover, feel another covers post coming on before the weekend is out.

Ed