Monday, September 08, 2008

Was this the funkiest 'Goth' track ever?




Part of my 'alternative awakening' at the age of fourteen was Bauhaus' second album, Mask.

I was getting into 'indie' music, and the name and the image kind of intrigued me, so I bought the cassette. For many years, it was the album's opening track 'Hair Of the Dog' with its' lyrics that evoked a wander around an asylum, but a few years ago, this came on whilst waiting for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, this came on. It fitted perfectly with the then prevailing new wave of post-punk, and sounded remarkably fresh.

And the cover art on the 12" single looked cool as anything.

Bauhaus -'Kick In the Eye(2).' mp3

6 comments:

entrailicus said...

Peter Murphy now lives in Ankara and has done for many years. I2ve never bumped into him, though.

Ed said...

Murphy is a pretty cool individual. 'Strange Kind Of Love' is an excellent song, though I don't really know his solo career.

Anonymous said...

Decidedly funky. I don't think that is really a goth bass line, jumps about too much.

Bela Lugosi's Dead was possibly the first 12" I ever bought, but sadly don't have in digital form.... I don't suppose you do?

Ed said...

Not in digital form yet...but this is why the USB turntable was invented. Bear with me...

entrailicus said...

Have it somewhere on a burned CD but it could take me ages to find it, I'll get back to you.

Anonymous said...

same era funky goth...

for me NO GDM by Gina X, seemingly forgotten track that i LOVED as a teenager.