Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Six of the records that shaped dance music, 1977-1989



A friend came to stay the other week who I've known for twenty years. As is the case, we spent a fair amount of time discussing music. He's been more of a dance fan than 'indie' over the last decade, though those two genres are not mutually exclusive. he's been excavating the old dance stuff, and with my love of music from 1977-1982, it's clear that this era stamped its' mark on dance just as much as indie.

Having picked up an Arthur Russell compilation (on whom more to come!), I thought I would post three dance classics:


First up a classic. I wrote about Chic's Good Times back in March, so here it is again.

Chic -'Good Times.' mp3

I mentioned Arthur Russell earlier; I will do a No Wave post one of these days...

James Chance -'Contort Yourself.' mp3

This record featured an American vocalist, but it's a very European-sounding record.

Donna Summer -'I Feel Love (12" version).' mp3

These guys came out of the same Bristol scene that spawned Massive Attack, Nellee Hooper, and Tricky, amongst many others.

Pigbag -'Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag.' mp3

And the first sample strewn record to top the charts in the UK:

M/A/R/R/S -'Pump Up The Volume.' mp3

Of course, by the end of the eighties, it wasn't just New York and Chicago doing house, but Italy was doing 'Italia House.' And this was probably its' best known hit:

Black Box -'Ride On Time.' mp3

Of course, there are many more out there...watch this space...

2 comments:

entrailicus said...

I've always maintained that the bloke from Chic was one of the best bass guitarists ever. Seriously, anyone who doubts me should give them a listen.

Don't have a bad word to say about Donna Summer either - you don't have to like the genre to appreciate a classic.

PS - please everryone come and vote on the new '76 festive 50!

Ed said...

Have I given you the vote for this? I know I mentioned it on the blog a little while ago...