Monday, September 08, 2008

Gig review: Glasvegas


Glasvegas, Edinburgh Liquid Rooms, September 7 2008

...and still they rise. With just a matter of hours to go before their debut LP is released, Glasvegas headline Edinburgh's Liquid Rooms. Their current UK tour has completely sold out, this date sold out within 24 hours, and tickets are changing hands for £50 on ebay. Right the way up the street, the touts are begging to buy tickets (about time they were clamped down on, once and for all).

So, can Glasvegas cut it live? You betcha. The sense of expectation once inside the Liquid Rooms is intense. Making our way up to the balcony, Mrs. 17 Seconds and I and our friends can barely see the stage, but we're swept away by the atmosphere. With chants of 'There's only one James Allan' and 'Here we, Here We, Here We f****g go' the sense of expectation is immense.

And from the minute they wallk on stage, until they walk off, Glasvegas deliver. And how. They come on stage, tear straight into 'Flowers and Football Tops' and it's brilliant. They don't pause for breath for the next forty minutes as they play songs from their self-titles debut. 'Lonesome Swan,' 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry,' 'S.A.D. Light,' Polmont On My Mind,' 'Geraldine' all go by in almost a blur. The band acknowledge the audience, but don't milk it, preferring instead to make the music speak for itself. 'Go Square Go' gets a rapturous response. 'Ice Cream Van' reminds us of how sad and epic they can be. Finally they finish with 'Daddy's Gone' the song that's gone from a limited 7" to a major anthem in the space of less than a year.

No longer the next big thing, Glasvegas are the sound of now. We walk out, on a wave of good feeling that lasts right into the next day. This is a band who matter.

[Thanks is due to James Allan, who when I interviewed him said they'd stick me on the guest list next time, and his sister/manager Denise who did. And not least to Ken for getting Mrs. 17 Seconds in as a +1).

Glasvegas' debut LP Glasvegas is out now.

Glasvegas' mySpace

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was as good for you as it was for me on Friday, can you imagine how it will sound in the Barrowlands when the audience sing Daddy's Gone.
Drew

Ed said...

You just know it's going to be one of those moments, don't you? Hope they play Edinburgh again soon...ed

Anonymous said...

sshhh...quiet!
I bought the album today on vinyl but as you know i cant listen to it so this wait is killing me. Should be fine this time tomorow though!
SW

Ed said...

Here's hoping. Let me know what you think!

Ed

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for my copy from HMV, who say it was posted last wednesday, shouldn't take a week to get to deepest, darkest Lanarkshire. My fault for going for the free shipping option, obviously being transported by donkey, good for the environment I suppose.
Drew

Anonymous said...

Bought it on CD so i could listen to it (when turntable is fixed the CD will be a nice present for someone).I think the album is a cross between of JAMC and Bowies Berlin period.You get me? I think it will grow on me but now its not taken me away as i hoped.However i got a massive free poster with it so i hope one of my friends or myself becomes a big fan for christmas time.
SW

Ed said...

Drew - hope you won;t be disappointed when it comes. I got the promo as a result of offering to review it for Is This Music? and also bought the LP

SW -I get ya, sorry you're not blown away, but I reckon you will be in time

Anonymous said...

Arrived at last, slight nervousness that it might not live up to the expectations. It is as good as I thought it would be, from the long intro to Flowers and Football Tops it grabbed and held my attention all the way through. It has been along time since an album stopped me doing anything else on first listen. I think that this is the best album i have bought since Sceamadelica.

Drew

Unknown said...

I've tried to be open-minded about it.

The boy is a poet...I dont dispute that. But there's little about the music that excites me.

Thumbs down from the wrinkly in the corner. I dont suppose they'll mind too much.

Ed said...

Ach, I wouldn't worry. This wrinkyly doesn't understand the fuss about Crystal Castles.

Ed