Sunday, May 25, 2008

Album Review: Nozzle



Nozzle -'Empires' (Flowermountain Records)

The third album for Dave Blomberg sees this three-piece on fine form. Ten songs and forty minutes long, the album is solid and a joy to listen to. while many bands still persist in trying to fit as many songs onto the CD as will fit, often at the expense of any quality control, Nozzle show how it should be done.

The guitar-playing of Dave Blomberg is a particular joy. At the risk of sounding like some pre-punk hi-fi enthusiast (I am neither); for the real subtleties that make up this album make sure you give it a listen on headphones. Lyrically it's strong too. Blomberg played with New Model Army for a long time, and fans of that band will find much to enjoy here. His voice bears no relation to Justin Sullivan's, and it should be made clear that Nozzle do very much plough their own furrow. Their roots are in the DIY ethic and they have kept to that.

When so many rock bands become lost in over-production, over-instrumentation and sometimes just in being over the top, it's great to report that here is a band who do not feel the need to go down that route. There's heartfelt sincerity here, without ever becoming painfully earnest. Highlights of this album would include the title track, 'Complicated' and also the closer 'The End' the final chord of which lingers, like a pleasant audio after taste.

****

Nozzle -'Complicated.' mp3

Nozzle website/Nozzle MySpace

7 comments:

Qaro said...

They're awesome. I ordered "Winter" on Amazon. And Withnail & I too! :)

Ed said...

Glad to hear it, and really pleased that you ordered withnail and I too. Let me know how you get on with it!

Ed

Ed said...

Glad to hear it, and really pleased that you ordered withnail and I too. Let me know how you get on with it!

Ed

Qaro said...

I got the CD "Winter" today. I really like it!

Ed said...

excellent! have you got withnail yet?

Ed

Qaro said...

I just got it in the mail yesterday! I hope to watch it today or tomorrow.

Qaro said...

No luck... I wasn't aware the Amazon third party sent me a European edition. I can't play it. VHS was so much easier.