Monday, October 06, 2008

Album Review: A.Human




A. Human -'Third Hand Prophecy.' (Wall Of Sound)

As I work through a large pile of stuff (sure I don't have to review everything I'm sent, but as I'm trying to get my own record company up and running, I think there's a sort of karma involved), it's inevitable that there are some albums that have kind of dropped to the bottom of the pile.

And more fool me, because this debut from A.Human is fantastic. I've played it several times, and each time I do, I hear something else, another pleasant connection made, another great riff that strikes me. It's got pulsing bassliness and analogue synths that evoke the best records of the early eighties. There's eleven fantastic tracks here, quirky, without being annoying and damn wonderful too. 'Black Moon' for example, is the tale of a woman with knives for hands. 'Third Hand Prophecy' is an excellent opener. And If you'd told me that a dance re-working of America's 'Horse With No Name' could work, I wouldn't have believed you...but now I do.

Evoking early Simple Minds, Death In Vegas, Primal Scream circa 1997-2002...this is a brilliant record. Once you hear it, you will want to hear it again. And again.

Don't make the same mistake I did, check it out. Now.

****


Third Hand Prophecy is out now on Wall Of Sound

A.Human website/A.Human myspace

A.Human -'Third Hand Prophecy.' mp3

A.Human -'Black Moon.' mp3

2 comments:

Qaro said...

These are really, really good. I love the way they carry you forward. Black Moon would be really great in a movie soundtrack. Third Hand Prophecy too.

Ed said...

Glad you like it, I can't believe it's slipped through the net as I've barely seen a mention to it anywhere else (though I suppose it doesn't help when people let things fall to the bottom of their review piles). Would like to hope this record gets the recognition it deserves...