Friday, December 07, 2007

17 Seconds' Festive Fifty 2007

So, here it is, the 2007 17 Seconds' Festive Fifty.

These are my favourite new tracks to be heard this year. They didn't have to be singles or even have been commercially released this year, indeed there are some tracks that are b-sides, album only tracks, and mp3s only, and even a demo and an unsigned band. But they couldn't have been from previous years (which is why The Shins' Phantom Limb isn't here, it was an mp3 last year, made it into my inaugural Festive Fifty, and therefore isn't here). Just stuff IMHO that has made my musical year. It's not easy trying to narrow it down, but this is the definitive list. I haven't posted all the tracks here before, and I have put links to a few, but I hope you enjoy it. Let the debating start here



1. Emma Pollock -‘Adrenaline.’
2. Battles -‘Atlas.’
3. Justice -‘D.A.N.C.E.’
4. Ringo Death Starr - ‘Some Kind Of Sad.’
5. Malcolm Middleton - ‘A Brighter Beat.’
6. Penny Century - ‘Nothing Burns Like Bridges.’
7. Rihanna - ‘Umbrella’
8. Bloc Party - ‘Flux’
9. Camera Obscura - ‘Super Trouper’
10. Sons and Daughters ‘Gilt Complex’
11. Idlewild - ‘No Emotion’
12. Emma Pollock - ‘Acid Test’
13. Kate Nash -‘Caroline’s A Victim.’
14. Dizzee Rascal feat. Lily Allen -’Wanna Be.’
15. Wiley -’Bow E3.’
16. Malcolm Middleton - ‘We’re All Going To Die.’
17. Timbaland featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake- ‘Give It To Me.’
18. Kate Nash -’Foundations.’
19. Wiley -’50/50.’
20. Sister Vanilla -‘Can’t Stop The Rock.'
21. Editors - ‘ Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors.’
22. Arctic Monkeys -‘Brianstorm.’
23. Dizzee Rascal - ‘Flex.’
24. Klaxons -‘Golden Skans.’
25. Bloc Party - ‘The Prayer.’
26. Electrelane -‘To The East’
27. Black Kids -‘I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance with You.’
28. Paul Hartnoll featuring Robert Smith-‘Please.’
29. Futureheads -‘Broke Up The Time.’
30. Charlatans -’You Cross My Path.’
31. Scottish Enlightenment -‘Eyes.’
32. Emma Pollock - ‘Paper and Glue.’
33. Burial -’Archangel.’
34. Cooper Temple Clause -’Waiting Game.’
35. Siouxsie - ‘Here Comes That Day.’
36.Timbaland, D.O.E. & Keri Hilson -‘The Way I Are
37. White Stripes - ‘Icky Thump.’
38.Maximo Park -’Our Velocity.’
39. M.I.A. ‘Bamboo Banger.’
40. Tiny Dancers -‘I Will Wait For You.’
41. Emma Pollock -’Limbs’
42. Arctic Monkeys -’Fluorescent Adolescent.’
43. Jack Penate -’Second, Minute Or Hour’
44. New Young Pony Club - ‘ Ice Cream.’
45. Manic Street Preachers - ‘Your Love Alone Is Not Enough.’
46. Wilco -’Impossible Germany’
47. Wu-Tang Clan - The Heart Gently Weeps
48. Snow Patrol - ‘Signal Fire.’
49. Fall Out Boy -’This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race.’
50. Kanye West - ‘Stronger.’

8 comments:

So It Goes said...

What a brilliant idea! (thinks: must start listening to more new music on the New Year). Great taste you have, young man (I can get away woth that 'cos I'm 44).

Qaro said...

Ooh, awesome! Glad I found your site. Thanks!

Ed said...

You're both welcome!

Ed

Anonymous said...

Nice list, but, do my eyes decieve me, or is Arcade Fire not on this list -- surely the re-worked version of 'No Cars Go' is among the top 50

Anonymous said...

Number 6! Yeahhhh!


www.letterboxrecords.com

Ed said...

micky67 -It's pretty good, but like I say, this is just my personal opinion, Arcade Fire came pretty close to having a couple of things in there.

Letterbox Records -glad you approve, and once I have done the album charts, think you will approve even further. Watch this space : ))...

Ed

Anonymous said...

I don't see any Arcade Fire on there, which is a crime. I would like to know why you think the mediorce (at best) Emma Pollock song is the best of the year.

Ed said...

It was a close-run thing; this is however my personal taste, it is very hard to cram 100 in 50.

As for Emma Pollock, I can't stop playing the track. The Arcade Fire album would be in the top ten list, when I have time to compile it, but I just happened to rate these fifty tracksthe highest when I compiled the list. While I rate the Arcade Fire album, I don't think that there were tracks that have meant as much to me as the Emma Pollock one.

Mrs 17 seconds and I have seen Emma Pollock three times this year and it's about to be a fourth. She's soundtracked our year, and been interviewed by yours truly.

BTW, leave your name, we're friendly people here!

Ed