Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Yeah!




Finally feeling a little more upbeat this morning, if not drastically improved. If the image for yesterday's post was a sunset (a reflection of my state of mind) then today's is that of reaching towards the sun (more for Vitamin D than anything else, mind). The first track below may have helped.

Usher -'Yeah.' mp3

Seriously, I love much of the American R&B of this decade. I couldn't get into the whole New Jack Swing stuff that I heard in the 90s (R.Kelly, Boys II Men, etc) but the impact of the Neptunes and Timbaland has created something that I am a total sucker for. This is a cover by Biffy Clyro of one of this year's finest singles -'Umbrella' by Rihanna

Biffy Clyro -'Umbrella (Rihanna cover).' mp3

And talking of covers, who is the king of the cover version? Mark Ronson or Jose Gonzalez? I like the Mark Ronson stuff I have heard this year -but Jose's versions of these tracks really hit the spot:

Jose Gonzalez -'Hand On Your Heart (Kylie Minogue cover).' mp3

Jose Gonzalez -'Teardrop (Massive Attack cover).' mp3

These will be up for a week. Enjoy, and if you like the tracks concerned, support the artists.

See you soon...

2 comments:

entrailicus said...

I've always been amazed how well Gnzalez managed to maintain the emotional intensity of the original Minogue track.

Great work as usual.

Ed said...

Do I detect a trace of irony?! We love Kylie here at 17 Seconds towers, I love the fact that Jose covered a Stock Aitken and Waterman song, flying in the face of trendiness!