Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mad, Bad and...interesting to hear #2



A few years back, when still working in a record shop, I was asked by one of the bosses if I could pick up a record on Sub Pop for him when I went to New York. Sure, I said. 'You won't forget this one,' he said, 'It's Called 'Stabbed in the face.'' Well, no, I couldn't forget a record title like that, nor could I ever forget it once I had heard it.

Wolf Eyes sound like the most terrifying thing you can imagine. They make Slayer sound like the Cocteau Twins, and yet...I find myself absolutely mesmerised by the noise they make.

Wolf Eyes-'Stabbed In the Face.' mp3

Wolf Eyes-'The Driller.' mp3

SunnO))) are another band that look terrifying, and sound terrifying...and yet, oddly beautiful. Their biggest inspiration is Earth, who I would desperately love to hear some stuff by (recently went into a record shop, they had an immaculately packaged album that was £30). Here are two tracks, one that is just them, another from their collaboration with Japanese band Boris, that I heard originally over at AmpCamp.


SunnO)))-'It Took The Night To Believe.' mp3

SunnO))) and Boris-'The Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep).' mp3

Here is a track from legendary noise band lead by Michael Gira, the Swans. Oddly, it was their cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' that led to me aged eleven, startiong to find out about Joy Division. I don;t knwo much about them, but it kinds went with the post...

Swans-'Sex God Sex.' mp3

...as did this track from seminal post-punkers This Heat.

This Heat-'24 Track Loop.'

As before, if you like what you hear, check it out. You will almost definitely have to go to an independent record shop.

No comments: