Tuesday, July 03, 2007

In memory of Fopp



(This is meant to represent the sun setting on Fopp. :-(( )

Frankly gutted by Fopp's closure but if you want to try and do something, then there is a MySpace site: www.myspace.com/helpsavefopp

Have been trying to work out what songs remind me of Fopp, whether it was things that I bought there as a customer, or remember from working there.

Seven years of going makes it too hard to narrow it down that much, but this is a selection. As always, if you like what you hear, go and support your local shop, we do not need any more repeats of this.


Battles-'Atlas.' mp3

Futureheads-'Hounds Of Love.' mp3

iLIKETRAINS-'Spencer Perceval.' mp3

Justice-'Waters Of Nazareth.' mp3

The View-'Superstar Tradesman.' mp3

It would be more but I am just about to exceed my bandwith, so more on this very soon! And yes, I may have posted these before, but hey...

4 comments:

Mick said...

I've been considering doing a post like this. For me it's easy to come up with songs that remind me of Fopp because it was synonymous with visiting the inlaws in Dundee, and whatever I bought there often defined my summer listening. A new Fopp opened about 10-miles from me just before christmas and now it's gone.

Ed said...

For my part, Fopp was synonymous with visiting my brother in Edinburgh, and then I moved here six years ago. Thought that Fopp's expansion would be a good thing for the company and music buyers in the UK, but it seems clear that they just expanded way too quickly, and that's ended up putting seven hundred people out of a job.

Unknown said...

I got wind of this just before I headed off to Canada. I was hoping it was all just rumours...

Over here, a real institution called Sam's Records closed down the day after I landed and lots of folk are quite rattled by it.

It's something happening the world over, and it's all a bit depressing.

Let's hope Avalanche Records is still with us this time next year.

Ed said...

Hopefully Avalanche will still be with us. Although they only have one store in Edinburgh now this is because they got the chance to buy the store on Cockburn Street.

Have been grinding my teeth about the closures all week. There has been no closing down sale and the managers have been retained by the company. They are hoping that people will buy individual stores. Oh that I had that sort of money.

*Sigh*