Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Top Banana...covers for Tuesday


OK, first of all I promised more covers - and here you are (see this as a part two to yesterday's post):

First up, DeVotchKa )and yes, those caps ARE meant to be there!) covering the Velvet Underground's Venus In Furs. This is, for those who don't know, originaly on the VU's debut The Velvet Underground & Nico. Brian Eno once said that this album may only have sold a few thousand copies when it came out - but everyone who heard it went and formed a band. Whilst the cynics may point out that it is going ot be impossible to confirm this (Go away. Now!), I think their influence on David Bowie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Primal Scream, the Jesus and Mary Chain...punk, goth, indie...hmm. I think my record collection would be way, way different. And much poorer.

DeVotchKa - 'Venus In Furs.' mp3

To buy DeVotchKa's Curse Your Little Heart EP click here

To buy The Velvet Underground and Nico click here

Surfing the web, I also came across this cover of Mercury Rev doing David Bowie's Jean Genie. This is from their own website; Bowie's original should also be heard-and owned.

Mercury Rev - 'Jean Genie.' mp3

If you don't own any Mercury Rev albums, I suggest you start by buying Deserter's Songs.

Bowie's version can be heard on Aladdin Sane, as well as many compilations, such as this

The Spells, a side project from Carrie Brownstein of the about to be very sorely missed Sleater-Kinney, and Mary Timony of Helium covered The Who's I Can't Explain in 1999. Mmm, I like this!

The Spells -'I Can't Explain.' mp3

Go here to buy it

I know I have put a fair bit up on Canasta already but if you haven't been to their website already, you really should. Here they cover Al Green's Let's Stay Together and Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner.

Canasta -'Let's Stay Together (live).' mp3

Canasta -'Tom's Diner.' mp3

Go here to buy Canasta music.

Follow this to buy Al Green and this to buy Suzanne Vega.

Hope you like these. Enjoy the sunshine.

No comments: